Our Kickstarter is now live! Help us reach our goal by clicking here, and please share and share alike. Want to know more? Watch the video below!
THE WHIRLAWAY DREAM:
- To be a sustainable, self-reliant homestead farm that raises fruit, vegetables, eggs, rabbit, fish, honey, and dairy using Biointensive, humane, and organic methods ,aquaponics, employing permaculture principles, and maximizing yields while minimizing impacts on the land.
- To cultivate and produce heritage breed animals and heirloom vegetables and fruits in order to preserve & share the rich flavor and wild variety of forgotten food sources of yesteryear.
- To actively engage with our community by hosting weekly work days where we open our farm to share labor, meals, knowledge, and belly laughs with our friends, families, and ever-expanding circles of seasoned farm friends and enthusiastic newbies.
- To be stewards of our land and to promote stewardship through monthly workshops that educate and encourage our community to engage in the homesteading arts, including (but not limited to) growing and preserving food, raising and processing animals, and creating handmade items of beauty or use.
- To constantly learn and experiment with various techniques and practices of plant cultivation, soil building, food preservation, animal husbandry, and creative re-use and recycling of materials so that we can create a model of "best practices" for this hot, drought-prone climate to share widely with others attempting to farm in similarly hostile environments on limited budgets.
WHAT WE NEED TO MAKE THIS FANTASY REALITY!
- Build poultry houses: a chicken house capable of housing a free-range flock 100 strong, a quail house with a pasture run, and a small barn & fly area for 2 dozen pigeons.
- Construct a pond for a flock of ducks
- Build a free-range, secure environment for rabbits
- Build a commercial kitchen for packing/processing produce
- Purchase a cooler for vegetables, eggs, meat & dairy
- Build a greenhouse for starting seeds & housing our aquaponic system
- Purchase a portable refrigeration unit to transport food to market
- Install irrigation in our 5,000 square foot veggie plot and run water lines to livestock areas and greenhouse
- Begin the organic certification process & obtain all necessary permits for selling animal products to the public
- Obtain heritage breeds of chickens, ducks, and rabbits
- Purchase several more Langstroth beehives and bee colonies for the spring
To donate and find out more, please visit our Kickstarter page here!